Tuesday 13 October 2009

Shall we carry on like nothing ever happened?

Look! New post! Now I'm back at Uni I will try to update this place more. Promise. I meant to do a load of reviews over Summer as I saw 20 odd films but I never found the time and it felt too much like work. Ahem. So we'll pretend Summer didn't take place and carry on as per the mission statement. Which I posted a couple of weeks ago of course >_>

Anyway. TOY STORY 3 TRAILER! Now, I'm aware it could seem like this place is becoming a Pixar dedicated site after my one other entry being that Up preview I did (which, incidentally, came out last Friday and I'll try my best to do a review of in the next few days when I see it...see what I mean about Pixar dedication?), but I love Toy Story so much I couldn't not tell people about the trailer. Yeah, I'm a big kid, I think we all know that. Just take a look at the trailer and then come back for some opinions...oh and make sure you watch it in HD.


Click on the poster to go to the NEW trailer!


Awesome. Andy's all grown up (deep voice and everything) and the toys are no longer needed. So he's shipping them off to a kindergarten! That gives the story the perfect 'toys escape' set-up that the other 2 films had. Admittedly it's not entirely original but it worked very well for the previous films and I think having the same basic formula will play towards the strengths of the franchise. Namely the stunning action sequences as the toys' plans come together and the humour, which seems very much in place just on the basis of these 2 minutes ("Lets see how much we're going for on ebay!") The big question though is where will Woody and the gang escape to? Will they try and return to Andy? Thankfully the trailer isn't giving much away about the second half of the film and we'll just have to wait and see.

Pixar love getting a Buzz Lightyear that still believes he's a space ranger into the films though don't they? They put a second Buzz into Toy Story 2 and now it looks like our Buzz is being reset to his factory settings! Which makes him a Spanish space ranger for some reason. Toy Story told us he was made in Taiwan so that's not it. Maybe 'the real Buzz Lightyear' was Spanish? But then surely Buzz toys would all sound Spanish anyway...whatever. If it means we see Buzz prance around like an idiot and say "to infinity...and beyond!" in Spanish then I'm not going to complain.

It struck me the first time I saw the trailer just how GOOD it looks too. I saw the original Toy Story in 3D last week and whilst the first fully computer-animated film still looks impressive there's no denying this type of animation has advanced a lot in the last 15 years. Most notably, Pixars human animations now look a lot more realistic. The new 17/18 year old Andy looks beautiful!

Lastly, I'm obviously just excited Toy Story 3 is almost here. I mean its not got the best history and almost didn't get made a few times. It was canned for a few months when Disney and Pixar were about to go their seperate ways a few years ago. Disney then anounced they were going to make the film themselves without Pixar. Then Disney ended up buying Pixar and they both said they were scrapping Toy Story 3 AGAIN. Finally a few months later the two companies came to an agreement on a new story for the film (which originally involved Buzz malfuctioning and being recalled by his manufacturers, leading to the other toys trying to rescue him) and decided that Pixar would be the ones to make it after all. It's no wonder Toy Story 3 is being released 11 years after the last installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment